Sunday, September 21, 2008

Bread and Cute Kids

Shhh! Enter quietly tonight. My nephew is sleeping on his little bed on the floor in my room. My mom and dad picked the kids up after their Bible study tonight and brought them back to our house. Now really, is that precious or what?
Poor little guy is in need of a bath, but by the time he got here tonight it was really too late to bother with that.

It seems that another possible job has fallen through. They were supposed to call me today, but they never did. They also haven't returned the email I sent them on Thursday. I really do believe that the right job is going to come along, but it's SO hard to wait for it!

I made some pumpkin bread tonight. This recipe is from Nancy Creech's Cooking For One, so it makes a pretty small loaf.

I wasn't sure how I felt about the idea of putting the curry powder in the bread, but I like how it turned out. It gave it a very different, yet subtle, flavor.



Middle Eastern Pumpkin Bread
1 mini loaf



1 Cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp curry powder
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cooked, mashed pumpkin
2 TBS water
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (I loathe nuts in bread, so I left this out)



Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Grease and flour a mini-loaf pan (6"x3-1/4"x2") (I don't have one, so I used small loaf shaped muffin tins) or a straight-sided baking dish of 2 cup capacity.
Mix flour, baking soda, salt, and curry powder.
In a separate bowl, combine the beaten egg with the brown sugar, then add the pumpkin, water, and soft butter.
Pour the liquid ingredients into the flour mixture, add the nuts, and stir until well mixed.
Pour the batter into the greased and floured loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean (because mine were smaller they only took about 30 minutes to cook).
remove from the pan and cool on a rack.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails