Monday, September 15, 2008

Sweet Home Alabama (As Long as It's Someone Else's Home!)

OK, so it won't be as long as I had thought. I can get internet on my Dad's computer.

Yesterday after church, we left home and headed for the north (and into the true South as Florida is not generally considered part of the South). After 12 hours in the car, we finally arrived in what we will henceforth refer to as, "Smallville," (though it makes Clark's Smallville look like Metropolis) Alabama. I've been here at my parent's property in Smallville for less than 24 hours, and I'm ready to go home. Don't get me wrong, the place is beautiful. It's on the water and there are lots of trees and hills and bluffs and other natural things. For many, this would be the ideal vacation spot. It's great for the person who just wants to get away from it all, go fishing on the lake, build a bon-fire at night, and enjoy the sounds of the country. I'm just not that kind of person. I need malls, movie theaters, restaurants, etc. Even a cutesy little town with quaint shops lining the sidewalk and fall decorations all over the street (think Stars Hollow - Gilmore Girls) would be fine. This place has none of that. There is a school, post office, 2 small grocery stores, a very small library, a hardware store, and a video rental place that looks suspiciously like a double-wide trailer. Boring! My mom and I went to the grocery store earlier today. Let me put it this way, if you plan on eating organic, finding fresh produce, or purchasing whole grain pasta you'd best go somewhere else. You won't be finding it here.

I shouldn't complain. I needed a change of pace, and now I'm getting it. The weather is cooler here than at home, and there are even a few trees with fall colored leaves on them. The lake is lovely, and one day we may be able to take the boat out on it. I'm also kind of hoping that one day my mom and I will be able to drive out of town and perhaps find something a bit more interesting...maybe that cutesy little town or something. At any rate, it's not like I was doing anything at home. At least now I'm doing nothing in nicer weather.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Awww! Too bad Clark isn't there in Smallville with you. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails