Thursday, August 26, 2010

Tomato, Tomata...Let's Not Call the Whole Thing Off

Remember that New Year's Resolution I made to try new foods...one food a month? Well, I pretty much sucked at it all year. However, this month I've actually done pretty well. I'm a little proud of myself, so I figured I share. :D

Let's see, this month I've tried the following:

Cooked zucchini and peppers in a pasta dish. I can't say that I really enjoyed this, but I choked it down. The zucchini I hated. The peppers weren't horrible, but I don't love the texture of them cooked. I'm told I should try roasted zucchini and not let zucchini from a freezer pasta bag make this decision for me.

Sloppy Joes, or more specifically, Manwich. I did eat sloppy joes occasionally as a child, but I hadn't tried them in many years. They were decent...probably not something I'd make myself, but certainly something I could eat again if that was what was for dinner.

Black Bean Salsa. My sister made this, and it contained a bunch of scary new things! Cold black beans, TOMATOES (I have a horror of tomatoes, but I'm TRYING to get over it), cold corn (I LOVE corn, but I was wary about it not being warm), peppers, and I don't even know what else. I only had a bite of it because my sister was making it for later and I was just trying it out. I actually was pleasantly surprised on this one. I think I'd eat it again!

Tomatoes. I keep working on this one. The day my sister made the salsa, I tried a tiny bite of a tomato by itself. I discovered that it really isn't as gross as I imagined it would be. I can't say I'm converted yet though. I also tried another one today in a sandwich. Normally I'd get a sandwich and ask for no tomato, but I decided to suck it up and eat it the way it was meant to be. Again, not too bad. Still...pineapple would have been better. I'm not sure what my deal is with tomatoes. I have no issue with tomato products, but somehow the idea of actually biting into a tomato has always grossed me out. Tomatoes are everywhere though, and I feel like I need to get over this.

Crab Rangoon. If I'm being totally honest, I didn't really give this a fair chance. I should have taken a second bite, but the first one was hard enough. I don't think I really even tasted it so much as just downed it to get it over with. I really should give this another go...we'll see.

I don't want to be the pickiest person you know.  I don't want to turn down food when I'm a guest in someone's house.  I don't want to make it difficult for people to eat out with me.  In this area of life, I'd like to just be...normal.  I'm not sure if I'll ever truly get there, but I'm going to try to improve.  I'm going to try harder than I was before too.  I'm discovering that it's usually not really as bad as I expect it to be, and even when it is bad, it doesn't hurt me to try.   I have a long road ahead of me on this, but I'm determined to keep at it.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails