Monday, March 5, 2012

The Picky College Girl

Me and two of my college friends having lunch after graduation at one of our favorite restaurant.  I can't even begin to tell you how many chicken fingers I ate at this place over the course of my 3 years there.
Being a picky child is one thing. Even at 10, 11, 12 most people will just roll their eyes and get you a pb&j. When you are a picky teenager, it begins to get harder. It is far more embarrassing to be different. Don't get me wrong, my friends were usually very understanding and kind about it, but it was still hard. Being 16 or 17 years old and ordering off the children's menu or taking a McDonald's bag into a Chinese restaurant is kind of humiliating.
The older I got, the worse it was. College was particularly difficult. I had been a heavy girl since my preteen years, but all the waffles I ate in the cafe because there was nothing else I liked only helped pack on the pounds. My friends got so tired of going to the same restaurants all the time. Never once would I agree to go somewhere like the Japanese steak house. How boring for them! I felt bad, but going to those kinds of places was just too scary for me.
One year, over Christmas break, my family went on a Caribbean cruise. All you could eat of the most amazing foods were offered each night, but what did I have? Chicken nuggets off the children's menu.
Every.
Freaking.
Night.
My cousins and I with our waiter.  After the first couple nights, he just left the children's menu at my seat every evening.  He knew I'd want the chicken nuggets.
And each day it was pizza for lunch. How boring! How much I must have missed out on! I comforted myself with the thought that I liked chicken. It was familiar and yummy. I knew how pathetic it was though.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails