Friday, April 24, 2009

A Nanny Weekend

Friends, I must admit the truth. I'm completely and utterly addicted to the internet, or more specifically, social networking. I'm babysitting this weekend for the family I used to nanny. They, unfortunately, do not have internet in their house except on their laptop which the parents took with them. It's only been one night, and I'm already going crazy! I didn't know what to do with myself last night after the kids went to bed. Naturally, this is ridiculous. I had books to read, TV to watch, computer games to play, music to listen to, and any number of other things that I could have done to keep myself occupied. All night though, I couldn't help but miss all of my friends here in this online world in which I have made myself at home. I ended up going to bed around 11:30 (my normal bed time is closer to 2:30 AM), but I really didn't sleep well despite the fact that I was sleeping in the most comfy bed ever. It's kinda hard to sleep at 11:30 when you are used to being up for another 3 hours after that!

In spite of my internet/sleep deprived night, I did have a good time with the kids before they went to bed. We ended up playing guitar hero, and I had lots of fun rocking out on the vocals. I'm dreadful on the guitar, but as that was being occupied by one of my charges anyway, I didn't need to bother about it. I had taken Clark with me (my Build a Bear) and all his clothes, so the kids had fun dressing him up in his various outfits. The kids went to bed at nine and insisted that they always go to sleep with their TVs on. I'd like to think I was being played here, but I actually believe that this was true. The boy, who is older, insisted that his favorite show was on at 10, and he just had to watch it. I gave in, and let them watch TV. It wasn't worth the fight, and I'm pretty sure it really is the norm for them. I needn't have worried about them staying up too late. When I looked in on them at 9:45, they were both out, and I turned off their TVs.

The morning ran smoothly. They got up in plenty of time to get ready for school. Today was their picture day, so I got to have some fun with the curling iron on the little girl's hair. After a quick trip to Chick-fil-a for breakfast and then dropping them off at school, I had grand plans of going back to the house and doing a little cleaning. My body, however, seemed to have other plans. I ended up going back to sleep for about 2 hours. I think I needed it. I am now sitting at a restaurant and making use of some lovely free WIFI before going to work. Hopefully tonight I'll get a little more sleep!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails