Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Friends

Friends are wonderful, aren't they? I have to admit that, in general, I'm pretty lonely. I have my family and my friends that I talk to online, but I really don't have a lot of people that I can just hang out with. I'm not saying I don't have any, but the truth is that I spend a whole lot of time by myself. Now, don't get me wrong, I enjoy having alone time and I love my nightly chats in the online world, but everyone needs to have people around that they can call up to go shopping or to a movie or meet for dinner or just whatever. (And I'm not gonna lie, it'd be nice to have man!) Anyway, today I got the chance to break out of my lonely shell and spend the morning baking cookies with an old friend. I hadn't seen her since before Christmas, but she got in touch with me a few days ago to see if we could hang out. It was such fun to be able to have a face-to-face conversation with a friend over some raw cookie dough (yes we baked some of it too!)

I wish there were more opportunities for times like that. Growing up, there were always people to hang out with. I had my church friends that I saw nearly every night for some activity and my homeschool friends who were always hanging out at our house. It's harder now. People grow up and move away and get married and start having kids. It's a good thing...the way it should be, but it makes it hard to hold on to those great friendships or to make new ones. I live in the land where people come to retire. There just aren't that many people my age around, and most of the ones that are around are married with kids. It's not that I don't enjoy spending time with couples and their children, but it's just not the same. They are at a different place in their lives than I am in mine. It's not my desire to whine about my life. For the most part, I love my life. I'm happy, I'm employed, I'm healthy, I have a wonderful family...life's not so bad. It's just a little...lonely.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Mmm, dough. I would like some cookies. And maybe some dough.

OK, I got sidetracked. You know, I know exactly how you feel. I feel like I spend a lot of my time alone, too. None of my friends are really close by, except my work friends, who are all up by Seattle, but they still all have jobs, so ... I have spent the last six months talking to you and a fetus more than anyone else.

When I was in college and for a while after I graduated, I had the opposite problem -- I wasn't single, and all of my friends still were. They were doing the fun scene, and I was home making chicken kiev. Not that I don't love me some Ukrainian poultry products, but it wasn't easy. So I am just rambling on to say that I understand, and that this married person with kid is always here for you ... and is working on coming to visit ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails