Thursday, December 17, 2009

What Is The Point?

I have a to-do list that gets longer every second.  Do you think blogging is on it?  Nope.  Yet, here I am.  Somehow it helps to de-stress when I blog, and I need all the de-stressing I can get right now!  I'm am so looking forward to this week being over.  Next week all the family will be here and, as my mom said, we will be able to stop preparing for Christmas and just enjoy it!  For now I'm busy with baking, shopping, cleaning, crocheting, wrapping, making trips to the post office, working, etc.  Some of it is fun, some is not.  All must be finished by the time I go to bed on Saturday night.

The trouble is though, I'm so busy with getting ready for Christmas that I'm forgetting about what Christmas is really about.  Last night, while trying desperatly to get my room clean enough to find my floor and furniture, I uncovered my Bible hiding under a chair.  I gazed in horror as I tried to remember when the last time I read it was.  Even know I cannot say for sure.  I just know it's been far too long.   How on earth can I expect to have a truly Merry Christmas if I am neglecting spending time with the One who's birth I claim to be celebrating?  It cannot go on.  None of the rest of it even matters really.  The baking and the shopping and all the projects I have going on are worth very little if I have forgotten the reason behind the whole thing.  And so, I am going to do my best to keep my eyes fixed on my Savior as I go through the rest of this season (and the rest of my life!)

And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”
Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,
“Glory to God in the highest,
and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.”
When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.”
So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger. When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told. 

I want to be like those shepherds!  I want to leave the busyness of what I am doing to go spend some time with my Savior, so I can return to my work glorifying and praising God.



I am glad I chose to blog tonight.  This wasn't even close to the topic I was going to discuss, but somehow listing all those things that I'm so worried about getting done made me stop and think about what really matters to me.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails