Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Cupcakes

 Make these.  If you like cheesecake, Oreos, or anything in a cupcake wrapper; go make these right now.  I originally saw this recipe on Pinterest, and I knew I had to make them for my birthday week.  I plan on there being two cheesecakes this week.  This one is for tonight's Bible study group.  The other will be on Saturday (when I turn 30!) I haven't decided if I'm making the second one, or if we are all going to the cheesecake factory.

Anyway, back to these cupcakes.  The are adapted from a Martha Stewert Recipe, and a million food bloggers have made them.  (Seriously, look it up.) I used a halved recipe for them, subbed Greek yogurt for sour cream after reading a suggestion by Pink Parsley, and added more Oreos than originally called for.

 The original recipe says it makes 30 cupcakes.  I cut it in half and still got 18.
  • 28 Oreos - 18 left whole, and 10 coarsely chopped
  • 2 8oz packages cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
  • pinch of salt
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees.  Line muffin tins with paper liners, and place 1 Oreo in the bottom of each cup.

With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the cream cheese until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.  Gradually add the sugar, and beat until smooth.  Beat in the vanilla, then drizzle in the eggs.  When well combined, mix in the sour cream and salt.  Stir in the chopped cookies by hand.

Divide the batter evenly among the muffin tins, filling each one almost to the top.  Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until the filling is just set.  Most of the versions of this I read said about 22 minutes, but I found that mine took more like 30 minutes to set. 

Transfer the tins to wire racks to cool completely, then refrigerate (in tins) at least 4 hours.  Remove from tins just before serving.

I also added an Oreo Whipped Cream to mine. The following recipe I came up with made just enough for my 18 cupcakes.

8 oz of Heavy Whipping Cream
1/4 tsp Vanilla
1 TBS Powdered Sugar
3 Crushed Oreos

Pour whipping cream into the bowl of a stand mixer.  Begin mixing on high for a minute.  Add in vanilla and powdered sugar, and continue to beat on high until it thickens into a a whipped cream.  Gently fold in crushed Oreos.

I let mine refrigerate overnight, and then scooped it into a plastic zip top bag with a tip cut off the end, and piped it onto my cupcakes.  It was delicious!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails