Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Healthy Yumminess


When I am with my boyfriend for meals, we eat good, but not always particularly healthy. We enjoy cooking together, and we make all sorts of yummy things, but I usually have to be very careful about my portions with what we make. Last night I had dinner alone at my house, and I took advantage of the opportunity by fixing myself a huge-mungo salad.

I loaded that sucker up with spinach, broccoli, mini sweet peppers, tomato, pineapple, blueberries, a spoonful of Almond Accents, and a splash of balsamic vinegar. I topped it off with a couple of chopped eggs. I toasted a whole wheat soft pretzel (more on that in a moment) to have with it. It was soooooo yummy. When I get out of the habit of eating healthy, I kind of forget how delicious the good for me stuff really is.
On Saturday, I got a hankering to try my hand at making soft pretzels. I decided to go with all whole wheat flour to make them a bit healthier. I used this recipe, and tweaked it a bit by cutting it in half and boiling the dough in a baking soda solution before baking them. I also added a couple teaspoons of vital wheat gluten. They turned out ok, but I wasn't thrilled with them. They were a little soggy from boiling them, and they just weren't as great as I had hoped. The leftovers have been sitting in a container on my counter since then. They had gotten soggier with time and were looking a little unappealing. I didn't want to waste them though, so I decided to see what would happen if I toasted them. I am so glad I did! It was the perfect solution. They got toasty and crisp on the outside and soft and chewy inside. Of course they were no Auntie Anne's, but they were yummy and a lot healthier.
Here is a general breakdown of nutrition. I made 8 pretzels from half the original recipe. Of course, it is a lot of sodium, but aside from that they are decently good-for-you-ish.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails