Sunday, October 20, 2013

Michigan Vacation Part 3

 Friday morning, I took a walk with Aunts M and L.  There was frost on the grass!!! I know, not really something a normal person would take a picture of and give 3 exclamation points to, but hey, I don't see that much in Florida.  It wasn't peak season yet while I was there, but I did get to see lots of Fall color.  This beautiful tree was one we passed on our morning walk.  I love Fall when I can get out of Florida and actually see it.  It's such a magical time of year!


After our walk, my Aunts, Gramma, and I went to Greenfield Village for the day.  I hadn't been since I was a small child, and I loved it!  If you don't know what Greenfield Village is, it is part of the Henry Ford Museum.  From Wikipedia,  

"Nearly one hundred historical buildings were moved to the property from their original locations and arranged in a "village" setting. The museum's intent is to show how Americans lived and worked since the founding of the country. The Village includes buildings from the 17th century to the present, many of which are staffed by costumed interpreters who conduct period tasks like farming, sewing and cooking. A collection of craft buildings such as pottery, glass-blowing, and tin shops provide demonstrations while producing materials used in the Village and for sale. Greenfield Village has 240 acres (970,000 m²) of land of which only 90 acres (360,000 m²) are used for the attraction, the rest being forest, river and extra pasture for the sheep and horses." 

I loved seeing all the crafts being made.  I even got to make my own miniature brass candle stick holder! I also had to pick up a few things to take home from the gift shop of course.  :) 




The grounds at the village are beautiful.  I loved seeing the old buildings, fall color, animals, and costumes.  We rode on a train and we got to take a ride in an actual Model T Ford from, I think 1919.  That was fun!  I loved hearing the stories from the driver.  Every car came off the line identical...even down to the ignition key! Black paint was the cheapest, so Henry Ford said, "They can have any color they want, as long as it's black." 
The Tavern where we ate lunch.

We had lunch at an old Tavern that had been moved to the Village from another part of Michigan.  We ate by candlelight and were served some yummy comfort foods.  We were also told that we were a shocking group...4 women traveling without the protection of a man! They decided we must be some of those women's rights activists. 

After lunch, we explored a few of the many homes and buildings they have brought to the Village.  It's pretty amazing to think of all the history in that place.  I saw inside the family home of the Wright brothers, Noah Webster's home, and the boarding house of Edison's workers where the first electric lights were used. 

Quick bit of Trivia. The only word that Noah Webster made up for his American dictionary was "demoralize."

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails