Monday, August 4, 2008

Friends and a Good Book - What More Could You Ask Out Of Life?


Today was the first day of the last week at my job. I admit, I'm a little sad. They aren't my children, but there are times when I have felt a little like they are. I love them both, and I believe I will miss them very much.

Tonight I was able to meet with some friends for dinner at Panera Bread (they have a new, yummy salad there!). One friend will be leaving for college in a week, and I am very thankful for all the time I have had with her. These past four years would have been very lonely without her. I am so thankful that God brought her into my life. I will miss her when she goes, but I believe that she is following what God wants her to do, and that is all I would ever want for her.

My other friend who I met up with tonight is going to be starting a Bible study with me. Our group used to be much larger, but things change and people move on. It will just be the two of us now, but perhaps it will bring us closer together and we will be able to strengthen and encourage each other in our daily walks with the Lord. We went to the Christian book store tonight to pick out a study, and we decided on a study of the book of Daniel. Perhaps this isn't the most likely choice for two women, but neither of us are much into the touchy feelyness (gee, the spell checker doesn't like that word! Imagine that!) of most of the woman's studies. I hope that we will find our study of Daniel to be beneficial.

So far I am doing well in my commitment to keeping up a daily time with the Lord. I believe that it has already been strengthening my Christian walk. Please pray that I will be able to remain steadfast in this.

I went to the library today with the kids. I love walking around the children's section there! Most of my favorite books can be found in that part of the library, and I'm always making wonderful, new discoveries there. Right now I am reading book 1, The Shadow Thieves, of the Chronus Chronicles by Anne Ursu. I picked it up on a whim during last month's library visit but got distracted by Twilight. I started reading it Saturday night, and I am really enjoying it. It had me hooked from the first paragraph...

Pay attention. Watch carefully, now. Look at the sidewalk, there. See that girl - the one wth the bright red hair, overstuffed backbpack, and aura of grumpiness? That's Charlotte Mielswetski (Say it with me: Meals-wet-ski. Got it? If not, say it again Meals. Wet. Ski. There. You thought your name was bad?) And something extraordinary is about to happen to her.

I think I better end this so I can get back to reading it!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

You know, we have God in Washington, too. And Panera! And, ooh, Cheesecake Factory, and Kohl's. Case closed. I think you need to move here.

You can start all the bible studies you want out in the rain while you nanny for a swanky family on Mercer Island, or a couple of journalists in the South End, should they ever have a baby. ;-)

I heart my Chad! You don't see me inviting Betty Anderson or Madam Retirement to move to MY state, now do you?

Related Posts with Thumbnails