Monday, February 20, 2012

Hummus Pizza and Acorn Squash Fries

 As I said before, I'm always trying to come up with yummy, creative, but low calorie meal ideas.  I especially like it if I can find several ways to use the same ingredients.  After all, if I have a bell pepper in my fridge, it won't last forever.  Tonight I made a sort of flatbread pizza with acorn squash fries.  For Christmas I got the book Robin Takes 5 by Robin Miller.  It's all recipes containing 5 ingredients of fewer.  One of her recipes was for a Greek pizza.  I have kind of altered her idea to fit my own tastes and what I had in my kitchen.

Here is what I used for mine.  This serves 1 (1 person who is eating smallish meals), obviously, you could make more.
For the Flatbread:
1/2 Flat-Outs Sun Dried Tomato Flatbread
1 Tbsp Sabra Basil Pesto Hummus
2 Tbsp Publix Tomato Basil Feta
1 Tbsp Shredded Mozzarella
1 Sliced Garlic Clove (Roasted)
2 Tbsp Chopped Red Peppers (Roasted)
Cooking Spray (I used olive oil spray)

Preheat the oven to 425.  Spray a pizza pan with olive oil cooking spray.  (You could also use a cookie sheet, but the flatbread won't get as crispy.  Spread the hummus over the flatbread, sprinkle the cheeses over the hummus, and top with the roasted red peppers and roasted sliced garlic.  (I roasted these with the squash fries for about 10 minutes, and then took them out to put on the pizza.)  Bake for about 7 minutes or until the cheese is melted.  Watch that you don't burn the edges of your flatbread.  It cooks fast!

For the Acorn (You could also use butternut squash.  I chose acorn because I am the only one eating it, and it's smaller) Squash Fries
1/4th Acorn Squash (Peeled and seeds removed and sliced into as close as possible to "fry" shape.)
Caribbean Jerk Seasoning to taste (or whatever seasoning floats your boat.  I like Jerk seasoning on almost everything.)
Salt to taste
Cooking Spray

For these, preheat the oven to 425. Spray the roasting pan with olive oil and spread the squash slices over it.  Sprinkle on a little salt.  Bake about 7 to 8 minutes on one side, then turn them over and bake on the other side for another 7 minutes or so.  They should be browned on the outside, but soft in the middle.  As soon as they come out of the oven, I like to sprinkle on a little Jerk seasoning.

As a second side, I sliced half a banana and sprinkled it with cinnamon.  Yum! And my whole meal was under 300 calories.



I guess I kind of got my wish about not working.  Normally on Mondays, I go into work at 10.  However I got a text saying I wasn't needed today until noon.  When I got there at noon, I was told that we would be combining classes right after nap, and I'd be going home because we had so few children today.  So I ended up working a 3.5 hour day, and 2 hours and 15 minutes of that were spent in a room full of sleeping children!

I stopped at the grocery store on the way home to pick up food for tomorrow night's Bible study dinner.  I am planning on making The Pioneer Woman's Cajun Chicken Pasta.  I really hope it comes out tasting as good as that picture makes it look! 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails